Archive for September, 2013

468x80 Local

Councillors approve Stoke Gifford By-Pass plans

Posted on Wednesday 11th September 2013 at 5:25 pm by SH (Editor)

Stoke Gifford Transport Link (Stoke Gifford By-Pass).

Plans for a major new single carriageway road to relieve congestion, improve public transport links and support business and housing growth in the North Fringe of Bristol have been approved by councillors.

Members of the South Gloucestershire Council’s Development Control (West) Committee granted planning permission for the Stoke Gifford Transport Link (known locally as the Stoke Gifford By-Pass) at their meeting this afternoon (Wednesday 11th September).

The mile-long route will run between Parkway North Roundabout and the A4174 Ring Road (emerging opposite the Holiday Inn) and will include bus lanes, two new bridges and a separate pedestrian and cycle route on its western side.

Subject to confirmation of government funding, the new road will be used as part of the £102 million North Fringe to Hengrove Bus Rapid Transit network, a major new public transport scheme.

As well as reducing congestion and enhancing public transport links in the area, the council hopes that the route will play a key role in supporting future economic development in the North Fringe area.

It will also provide a vital link between new housing developments in nearby Harry Stoke, and local employment opportunities and services.

Work on the £14 million scheme is scheduled to begin in late 2015, with completion expected in 2017.

Image: Indicative plan of the Stoke Gifford By-Pass, published during a public consultation on the North Fringe to Hengrove Package bus rapid transit scheme in 2012.

Related links:

Share this article:

UK_Best stuff in your city_468x60

Toaster fire damages kitchen of Stoke Gifford flat

Posted on Thursday 5th September 2013 at 9:58 am by SH (Editor)

Fire engine of the Avon Fire & Rescue Service.

A woman and her 13-year-old nephew had a lucky escape after a fire at a flat in Stoke Gifford yesterday evening (Wednesday 4th September).

One fire engine from Southmead Fire Station and another from Patchway Fire Station attended the incident in Great Swanmoor Close (off New Road, near the Travis Perkins store).

When crews arrived they found the woman, thought to be in her 20s, and the child already out of the property unharmed, having been alerted by a smoke alarm.

The incident was found to involve a fire in the kitchen of the ground floor flat.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the flat and tackled the fire using two CO2 extinguishers and a 45mm jet.

A thermal imaging camera was then used to check for hotspots.

It appears the fire started accidentally after a toaster was left on, overheated and set fire to the kitchen.

The room was left badly damaged by the fire and the rest of the flat suffered smoke logging. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

Avon Fire & Rescue Service said it would like to remind people to take care when using electrical items and to always switch them off when not in use.

For more fire safety advice visit: www.avonfire.gov.uk

Share this article:


The Bradley Stoke Journal magazine - your MONTHLY local newspaper.
Office accommodation at Courtyard Offices, Bradley Stoke, Bristol.
Oasis Driving School, Bristol.
Chiropractor, Patchway, Bristol BS34.