Toaster fire damages kitchen of Stoke Gifford flat

Posted on Thursday 5th September 2013 at 9:58 am by SH (Editor)

Fire engine of the Avon Fire & Rescue Service.

A woman and her 13-year-old nephew had a lucky escape after a fire at a flat in Stoke Gifford yesterday evening (Wednesday 4th September).

One fire engine from Southmead Fire Station and another from Patchway Fire Station attended the incident in Great Swanmoor Close (off New Road, near the Travis Perkins store).

When crews arrived they found the woman, thought to be in her 20s, and the child already out of the property unharmed, having been alerted by a smoke alarm.

The incident was found to involve a fire in the kitchen of the ground floor flat.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the flat and tackled the fire using two CO2 extinguishers and a 45mm jet.

A thermal imaging camera was then used to check for hotspots.

It appears the fire started accidentally after a toaster was left on, overheated and set fire to the kitchen.

The room was left badly damaged by the fire and the rest of the flat suffered smoke logging. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

Avon Fire & Rescue Service said it would like to remind people to take care when using electrical items and to always switch them off when not in use.

For more fire safety advice visit: www.avonfire.gov.uk

Share this article:

Tags: fire

Comments are closed.

Advertising in the Stoke Gifford Journal

The Stoke Gifford Journal magazine - your MONTHLY local newspaper.
Ocean Estate Agents, Bradley Stoke, Bristol.